Monday, November 30, 2009

Music

I think that part of a simple life is looking for simplicity in music. Uh-oh...hot button there. I'm not going to get into a debate on types of music and worship style. Really, I'm kind of over that if you know what I mean. My own tastes are pretty eclectic ranging from classical to jazz to bluegrass. If you start playing rap, I may even know some of the lyrics depending on the artist (some of you just had a heart attack....it's okay...i still love God). I have found though, as I've gotten older (word written with some hesitation) that simplicity in music is essential to having a clear mind.  Music, like any other media, speaks to us.  If we are constantly allowing it to speak ungodly, loud, and disjointed ideas, our minds begin to crave the noise and chaos.  The natural outcome to that is, well, not so good.  So give your mind a rest.

The link below is to an artist who I have a great deal of respect for.  Why?  He travels all over with his family (and I mean the whole family....check out his blog) singing and worshiping in churches.  His life is not about music; it's about relationships.  It's a simple life, though by no means an easy one.  I can't imagine the challenges this family must go through.  But they're together.  I suspect that when those children grow up they will have a deep and abiding relationship with one another, not because of proximity, but because of parents who invest in them daily.  Track the family and see if my little theory is true...oh yeah...and check out this CD too!

A New CD of Psalms & Hymns

No comments:

Post a Comment