Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's a Chicken Run!

I called and the chicks and poults are (finally) on the way!

They shipped out late last night from the hatchery to the post office.  My local post office won't get the shipment until tomorrow morning.  I've asked them to call me as soon as the chicks arrive.

The whole process still strikes me as odd.  70 chicks and 10 poults will arrive in a cardboard box at my little Post Office.  I will pull up to the bay door in the back.  As I go in to sign for the chicks I will hear their joyous chirping bounce off the paneling.  Since I don't live in the country this seems to provide much wonder and amazement for the postal workers who are not used to having living things in the mail room.  At least not 80 living things....that smell funny.

So how do the chicks survive for over 24 hours without food?  It's yet another miraculous design.  It seems that God created the chicken to instinctively eat it's yoke once it has been hatched.  The vitamins in that yoke will keep the chicken "fed" for over 48 hours.  It acts as a colostrum, providing nutrients to the newborn chicks.

They'll call around 7 tomorrow for me to pick up the birds.  We'll take them right out to the brooder and get them hooked up with some all natural Michigan grains.  And some warmth.  And maybe a photo shoot.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a photo shoot! I wanna see!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck, Nancy, you and Rob can come out and see anytime :)

    ReplyDelete