Monday, January 18, 2010

Haitians

I remember where I was when the 911 disaster occurred.  I remember watching it on television.  I remember the feeling of horror at the loss of lives and the fear at what was to come.  I remember most the generosity of the people in contributing to the welfare of those involved.  It came in the form of money, supplies, labor, equipment, and prayers.  It was inspiring and humbling in the same moment.  I think it was then that I began to realize the power of the internet. 

Sites were not as sophisticated then and the idea of "social networking" sites had not yet become a central force in the American digital culture.  Yet it seemed with every page refresh, every site link, every virtual venue explored there was opportunity to give.  We saw it again when Katrina struck and when the Philipines was ravaged by the tidal wave.  We saw that the opportunities to give were plentiful; and all thanks to technology. 

I'm glad we're able, now, to help the Hatians.  I have not yet seen an estimate on how much we're giving, but I would suspect it will be huge.  That's wonderful.

Yet in the midst of the devastation and the pain, I can't help but wonder where the relief is for those Americans who live lives of poverty and destitution every day.  We have, on our own soil, men, women, and children plodding through an existence of hunger, thirst, poor health, and untold dangers every single day.  Yet we are not scraping together the funds necessary to help them just live a decent life. 

Why?

While I do not regret the money given to those in need during a crisis, I often think how much better off our own homeless and suffering population would be if only they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  If they were part of a globally watched tragedy at least then they would receive medical attention, food, water, and clothing.  Are these basic needs really so much to ask? 

No, I don't want to take those things away from the Haitians.  They have been through an experience that I can't even really imagine.  They are broken and in need of healing.  We can be that balm to them.  But when the dust settles and we have done what we can to care for the Haitians, perhaps we can turn our hearts to those who are suffering through devastation right in our own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment