Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spark Plugs

We drive an Econoline E-350 Super Duty passenger van.  You do stuff like that when you have lots of kids.  It's a great vehicle for us, but lately it's been having some...issues.  It stutters and doesn't seem to want to accelerate.  Seems like it's worse on damp mornings.

Sounds like spark plugs/wires to me.

I went home from work yesterday intent on correcting this problem.  I don't often work on my cars because it seems like they are overly complicated, but I know about this sort of job.  Caps, wires, plugs...been working with them since I was old enough to hold a tool.

After a quick change into my manly-working on the car-gettin' dirty clothes, I got all my tools together along with a light (it's still dark in the evenings here) and started on the van.  First to find the wires.

Except that I couldn't find them:

No cap

No wires

No plugs

So I stood in my driveway looking very philosophically at the night sky.  I was actually trying to convince myself that I wasn't a complete idiot.  But looking philosophical was a good cover.

My Dad came over to help.  While I'm not grease monkey (I can do basics but that's about it), my Dad is a grease monkey from way back.  So he helped me to find the cap, wires, and plugs.  Except that they weren't there.

No cap

No wires

No plugs

So we did the only thing two grown men can do when they are stumped about a very manly sort of thing.  We ate a large dinner and laughed a lot.

Upon some further research we discovered that there is no cap.  There are no wires.  There are plugs, but they are sunk in the head (COP system for those who care).  Now, although this is something that normally I'd try to tackle, the way my engine is set up I can't even get to them.  The repair shop doesn't even think they can do it.  So...that's bad.

I got to remembering my old '86 F-150.  Loved that truck.  I'd sidle a step ladder up to it and climb inside the engine compartment.  It was easier to work on.  It was simple.

Even in the arena of our vehicles we are constantly restricted because of the complexity of our society.  Most engines now are very much integrated with computer systems and emissions saving devices.  There are some folks out there very gifted in this area and I sure am glad for that.  But there was  time when any reasonable person could work on their car.  The mechanisms were simpler.  Parts were available.  People up and down the block knew how to work on them and would help.  Today....not so much.

Again, I see how we've shot ourselves in the foot.  As we demand safer vehicles, lower emissions, better gas mileage, lower maintenance, and lattes made for us and passed through the glove compartment (I'm working on a patent for that) we are asking for more complexity.  Take anti-lock braking systems.  Good system.  Seems to work well.  What was wrong with pumping our brakes?

Now, I know that I could easily get pounded by those would say "But we're so much safer." and "Look at all the good they've done."  Well, to be honest, I've not seen any measurable numbers indicating that we are safer.  I think we end up taking more chances.  I think we end up not thinking because we expect the car to do everything for us.  I think we get lazy.

I think I'd forgo a lot of amenities on a car for a simpler model...that would last...and had some plug wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment