Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Climbing Trees

I remember climbing trees as a boy.  We had an old apple tree at our house that was great for climbing.  Apple trees don't generally grow real tall, but they have lots of great branches and they have that "fort" feel that is so essential to being a boy.

My boys like to climb trees.  They started this several years ago.  It's funny because I don't see a lot of kids climbing trees anymore.  In fact, I don't even see them playing outside much.  A neighbor kid came over last summer.  The boys asked if he wanted to wrestle.  He said he did and he had some great wrestling video games at home.  It didn't occur to him that they meant to like actually grapple one another and wrestle.

The tree in our front yard is pretty tall.  I would guess it's over 30 feet to the top most branches. Every year they seem to climb a little higher.  I come home from work sometimes and as I'm walking to the door I hear of chorus of "Hey Dad" coming from the leaves above me.  A few days ago they announced that they had climbed so high they could see the cars on the freeway near our neighborhood. 

When I watch them go that high, it does make me nervous.  But I haven't said anything (yet).  The truth is [personal admission coming]....when I look up into the boughs of that tree and see my three oldest sons plotting their next hand hold I am filled with admiration. 

Okay, I know their MY boys, but I think I'm putting that aside.  I'm filled with admiration because what they are doing is super cool...and I don't have the guts to do it.  I wouldn't have done it when I was a kid.

I think that mostly it reminds me of what real life is.  As men, especially, we've lost the drive to do something crazy, something hard. But when we look back, I think we need to ask; did Lewis and Clark go out because their journey would be easy?  Did Washington humbly consent to lead the rag-tag army of a newly formed nation because he thought it would be fun?  Did Edison persevere in failure after experimental failure because he thought it might improve his reputation?  No, they did the crazy things.  They followed something that God put inside them that craved exploration and adventure.  I'm sure each had different reasons for what he did, and I'm sure there were times when they wondered if they were making the right choices at all.  But in the end they persevered. 

I remember these things as the boys climb the trees.  And each time I look up and see them dangling on a limb, I'm reminded that I, too, can make a choice; to push myself; to persevere even when the way is long and hard.  And in the end I can give glory to God who gives me strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment