Sunday, February 27, 2011

Working Out - Daddy Style


I try to work out.  I really do.  I’ve tried to stay on a schedule, but, well, that seems fruitless.  So I squeeze it in when I can.  Here is a recent episode.

Day:
Saturday.  It’s my day off, so hey, plenty of time, right?

Scene:
Prepping for dinner.  My wife and I are doing dinner alone so I’m heating up food for the kids.  I decide I’ll throw on some shorts, put on a Billy Blanks workout video, and work out while the foods heating up.

Act 1:
Dad gets on his “workout clothes” (i.e. a pair of shorts).  The two year old, realizing what is going on, gets his dress shoes out.  He stutters.  “Daddy, I-I-I-I-I-I got my workout shoos.  Can you-you-you-you-you put them on.”

Daddy puts on shoes.

The nine year old, hearing of the coming events, comes out of his room in a pair of swim shorts…and that’s it. The two year old, somehow feeling like he’s going to be left out, strips off his shirt.  “Daddy, can you-you-you-you-you take off my shoos.  I-I-I-I-I-I-I need to get on my swim short.”  Daddy assures the two year old that he can just workout like this without a problem.

The nine year old disappears for some reason and reappears fully dressed.  Umm.....

The seven year old lays on the floor in the middle of the living room (a.k.a the workout area) facing the screen and ready to watch the show.  Daddy, attempting to remain calm, explains that the seven year old needs to move before I kick him out of the way bodily injury occurs. 

The video does not want to start.  Despite the fact that it’s worked hundreds of times (or maybe twice) before this.  Minor technical difficulty.  Daddy fixes.

Finally the video begins. 

The five and seven year old attempt to point out people in the video that they “like”.  Daddy, attempting to remain calm keeps pushing gently moving them out of the way.

30 minutes, and 5 “pauses” into the video, a fight breaks out at the dinner table. 

Thus ends Act 1....along with the entire workout.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha! Sorry, but it is so real life! I enjoyed the story.
    Kristi W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the part where the 7 year old drops the forgotten swim trunks on the floor where they will later be deemed "dirty" and we will wash them....again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi - I'm sure you can identify. The trade off, of course, is that we get plenty of exercise...running after the children!

    Holly - Yeah, the whole swim suit thing...didn't get that at all. Not sure who he saw wearing nothing but a swim suit to work out with. Oh well...he's ours and we'll love him anyway LOL

    ReplyDelete