Saturday, April 23, 2011

The New Brooder



Tis the season…for chicken preparations.  I’ll let you in on a little secret.  I have a serious problem.  It’s a problem that developed at an early age.  As I grew older, it seemed to take a bigger hold on me.  I tried to fight it, but it almost always wins.  As a grown man, I find that it’s an even bigger problem than before.

The problem?

I’m stubborn.

Two years ago when I first started raising chickens I had an emergency.  You can read about it here.  I found a brooder design online.  It was simple and effective.  So last year I used the same design.   But this time I needed a lid on top.  I built it.  It worked.  But it was ugly.  I don’t just mean that it looked ugly (which it did) but it was a little awkward to use.  I had a good plan, but I lack the technical skills to pull that sort of thing off.  I’m a very big picture, good enough sort of person.  I very much appreciate fine workmanship.  I just do not have the skill or patience to be a master craftsman.  

Now enter the community.  See, in a community, there are people of all sorts.  There are craftsman and non-craftsman alike.  Some like to work with numbers while some like to work with words.  Some like to sing and some like to dance.  In this case, some like to build and some like to raise chickens.

Last year, as I set out to build the brooder, I knew I could do it.  I bought the materials and built it myself.  It took me several hours across several days to make it workable.  And, as I already said, it was ugly.  But this year was different.  I set aside my stubborn pride and shared a desire for a newly designed brooder with some friends.  I would purchase the supplies and even contribute a good amount of sweat.  But I needed help with the design.

A friend told a friend.  That’s the way things work in a community.  I received a call this past week.  Someone had an excess of building supplies that they needed to get rid of.  My friend and I rode over there and we drove back to his house with a truck full of material.  In fact, we had all the material necessary to make a brooder.  It cost me nothing.

The next day, while I was at work, my friend then called up my two oldest sons.  They hopped on their bikes and went down to his house.  An afternoon later the three of them had built the brooder.  I stopped by after work to find a brand new, expertly designed, chicken brooder.  And I didn’t sweat at all.

And it is not ugly.

When the time comes, these friends will get their chickens free of charge.  The skill and material they provided is so much appreciated that I can’t help but reward them with something that I can do with my own hands.

My point is to say that we all don’t have to be good at everything.  My guess is that you are good at something, even if it’s remedial.  So share you gift, and let others share their gifts with you.  This is how community is built.  This is what God has called you to do.  Listen, I’m not a great example of this, but I’m willing to learn.  How about you?

P.S. The friend who built the brooder also built the chicken plucker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment