Friday, February 12, 2010

The Other White Meat

I was approached by a work associate who is originally from India about buying pasture based (or wild as he calls them) chickens.  I confess that I was a bit surprised, not because he is Indian, but because it was a question really out of the blue.  Do I know where to get chickens?  Is the Pope Catholic? So I gave him my business card.  I gave him several.  I told him to pass the word along.  Then he wanted to know if I sold something else.  Something he really wanted.  Something that was, for him, a treat.

Rabbit.

I said, "To eat?"

He said, "Yes, to eat."

I said, "I don't think I've ever had rabbit."

He said, "If you are liking meat, you are liking rabbit."

Well, that was something else out of the blue.  Who knew?  Now, I know people in the southeastern region of the country tend to have an affinity for rabbit.  It's just that I've never met anyone in Michigan who eats rabbit (unless they're from the south).  So, yeah, i was surprised.

But you know what?

My oldest son had just asked me the week before if he could raise rabbits and sell them for meat.  I told him I didn't think there was much of a market for that.

Wrong.

So I think we're going to raise some rabbits....although my wife is having a much harder time with this than with chickens.  Something about eating bunny foo-foo.

What about you.  Do you want to try any rabbit?

2 comments:

  1. Uh....don't even need to think about that one. The answer would be "no"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love rabbit. Used to have them all the time but don't have a local source right now.

    ReplyDelete